Pages

Thursday 1 April 2010

My Unforgettable Experience in Kempo


Hello everyone. Thanks to mr. Arif anyway...

I wanna tell you about my experience.
Em, do you know Kempo? It is one of martial art. Well, I guess maybe just a few people know about Kempo, hehe.
Since 10th grade, I joined Kempo in SMA 3. I really love it. At the 1st day I practiced, there were quite a lot of new members who attended. But slowly but sure the number was decreasing and finally there’s only few of us who still attend the practice. Just like our senpai once told us, joining Kempo was not that easy, only the strong who can survive. Well, include me of course J!!
Thanks to our seriousness in practice, me and some of my friend are in level Kyu 3 (green obi/belt).
Last month, on February 27th and 28th, Perkemi Branch for Semarang City held Kejurdo (championship between dojo). All Kempo dojo in Semarang followed the championship. Dojo means the place where we used to practice. Right now, Dojo Smaga is short of instructor. In Kempo, we call the instructor with “senpai”. Some of Japanese martial arts that we know; such as: Karate, Aikido, Judo; are using the term too. But I think senpai actually is for those whose level is above us or senior student but not the instructor.
Fortunately, there was one senpai who willing to teach us. So, two weeks before the tournament, we practiced really hard. There are two categories of competition, randori and embu. Randori is a term used in Japanese martial arts to describe free-style practice or sparring, sometimes with multiple attackers, just like fighting each other and embu is the Japanese name for a martial art demonstration.
The big day finally came. I and six others went to IAIN Walisongo where the competition was held, while the two others came later because they had something to in school.
Nia Alva (XI A 4) and Nia Beta (XI A 6) competed for “Embu Pasangan Putri” category. Moses (XI A 7), Jojo (X-1), Yani (XI A 4), and Oui (my sister) competed for “Embu Beregu Campuran” category. While in randori category, our dojo sent Swastika and Rista (XI IS 2). Nia Alva, Yani, Oui, Moses also competed in randori. I myself only became the team manager ^.^v .
I didn’t play because it seemed like I weren’t allowed to. It’s too bad because I really really wish I can compete to.  At least I will get some experiences. But God already decided. About two months before the tournament, I got sick several times. The worst was six days before the day, I fell from my motorcycle and my left foot was injured.
The first day was very tight. According to the agreement from the previous meeting, all games would be conducted on this day because we said to the committee that we were having our mid-semester test at March 1st. It was very tiring for us who just follow a tournament like this for the first time. But we were so excited though there were obstacles at the beginning. I got very nervous to face it; especially it was my duty as team manager to make sure there was nothing wrong with my team. Fortunately, many senpai were willing to help anytime we asked for.
At the second day, there were only few more games before the final games from all categories. Unfortunately, no one from our dojo was able to win or at least reach the third place. It was no surprise because we only got so little time to practice and this championship was our very first tournament that we ever been in.
When they announced the winner of each category, we were really shocking because our “Embu Beregu Campuran” team beat IAIN team and we got at the second place. At first we heard the announcement, we couldn’t really believe it because we thought, and so everybody was, that IAIN team was better than us. We actually didn’t wish to win anything and we just wanted to have fun with it.
I’m very grateful, especially to God, because our efforts were not wasted. We don’t have any senpai who accompanied us like any other dojo but we were able to bring home at least one trophy.
That’s some story from me. Thank you for reading :)

This is our pic
 Sitta N.A. (XI A 5 / 34)

No comments: