Pages

Sunday 13 December 2009

Ramsey - I'm trying to show what I can do


Aaron Ramsey wants to give Arsène Wenger a selection headache after producing his most impressive performance in an Arsenal shirt on Wednesday night.

The Welshman won't be 19 until Boxing Day but he played with a maturity beyond his years as Wenger's side lost 1-0 against Olympiacos in their final Champions League group match.

Ramsey was the architect behind a string of Arsenal chances and saw a late effort cannon off a defender on the goal-line as a young Gunners side almost snatched a draw in Athens.

The teenager is as modest as he is precocious and played down his role in a positive Arsenal display. But Ramsey is determined to show his manager that he deserves a run in the first-team.

"I'm not sure whether it was my best performance, I just think it was a good all-round team performance," he said. "We all played well.

"I felt we put in a very good performance, we created a lot of chances but unfortunately we didn't take them. But we can take positives [from the game], we got into good situations.

"That's what we're there to do as midfielders: to make chances and passes for strikers and wide players. It's a good feeling when you do that. If they don't take the chance then the urge is to make another chance for them as quickly as possible."

"I'm trying my hardest in games like this to show what I can do. In training I try my hardest as well so I'm just concentrating on what I have to do and then it's up to the manager.

"I'm learning every day in training and in games like this so it was the right move for me and opportunities like this are good for me and for the young players."

Ramsey's range of passing was clear for all to see in Athens and he feels stronger on the pitch in his second full season with the Club. But a missed headed chance late in the game reminded the 18-year-old that he is by no means the finished product.

"Heading is one thing that I can improve on," admitted Ramsey. I had a chance at the far post and I think I must also improve on that mentally.

"But I do feel a bit stronger having been at Arsenal for a year. We do a bit of weight training which maybe I didn't do as much when I was at Cardiff."


Farah Firdausi / xii.ia.11 / 13

No comments: