Pages

Monday 17 May 2010

Borneo, From South to North


Hello everybody,
I was so confused which the material I should share, so I shared about the book that I have just read. I actually wanna write about my favorite Korean singer, but I think it will be better if I shared about this. My first reason because it was from Indonesia.
The original title of this book is “Borneo van Zuid naar Noor” was written by M. T. H. Perelaer. And after it was translated into Indonesian, the title became “Desersi: Menembus Rimba Raya Kalimantan”.
Initially, I saw this novel was just lying in my bed. I idly flipped to the middle and slightly to read the story. Then I read the back of this book. I think that this was an interesting novel. A few days later I started to read this novel from the first sheet.
In the first pages, there was a glossary of terms Dajak language before the introduction from an interpreter. Then, chapter 1 begun. This is a summary of the story:
Start from the fourth meeting of the Dutch East Indies soldiers who wanted to escape. Two Swiss, one Belgian and one Indo-natives. Schlickeisen (21 years),a  Swiss, born in Steinbach, the region of Glarus. He was son of a pastor. Wienersdorf (23 years), a Swiss, born in Winterthur, the region of Zurich. He was son of a professor of natural sciences. La Cueille "der Wallon" (26 years), a Belgian, born in Cheratte, Province of Liege. He was son of a coal miner in Jupille. Yohanes (30 years), an Indo-native, born in Padang, West Sumatra. His father was unknown and his mother from Nias.
Immediately after all the plans were ready, four of them were accompanied by three Dajaks people secretly escaped by using a rangkan (a kind of raft that contains approximately 30-50 people). The original plan was they would go to Singapore through the southern route (sea route), but because the act of La Cueille, they revamped their plans totally. Now they must pass through the northern route, which means through the interior of Borneo which was still a very genuine. These three white men who joined must use katiting, which is a plant of the family rhizopore used to equate the color of their skin with the indigenous population.
And soon the adventure began. During 70 days in the Borneo jungle land to make truly the deserters actually saw the interior life of the Dajak tribe, even co-existed with them. Besides, the deserters also very impressed with the architecture artificial hand of God and fabulous natural phenomenon.
In my opinion, the story is very good, making the reader's imagination grow to perfection. Even so, this novel was a scathing critique quite namely think that the author is too hyperbolic in the telling of the head-hunters (pengayau) and also when discussed about Olo Ot, which was said as human who have a tail, it can lead to people from outside Kalimantan, thought if Dajaks people have a tail .
For these critics, I'm personally not willing to respond. But I think, take the positive sides. From this novel, my knowledge became more widely, at least it was opened my eyes that just know if Dajak is a tribe in Indonesia which stayed in Borneo. Borneo is one island in Indonesia with an unique culture and the natural resources are very abundant, of course it should not be underestimated.
In addition, this novel is very motivating. If you want to do something, do it seriously and try hard. I'm also very impressed with the indigenous Dajaks people who really uphold mutual trust.
I think, you should check this book out :)

 The Original Cover





 Indonesian Cover
 
 

 



 






Created by: Sitta N. Aurashka (XI A 5/34)

No comments: